Camp Odyssey has Two Components:1) It begins with a weeklong residential summer camp that
exposes youths’ values and passion for citizen involvement. 60 youths, aged
14-18, selected from as varied socioeconomic backgrounds as possible,
participate in trust-building and experiential activities, and structured
2) After the initial residential camp, with Regional
Coordinators and adult volunteers, the year round support component assists Odyssey youth in
bringing what they have learned back to their communities. Regional meetings,
service activities and reunions provide youth opportunities to develop specific,
actionable skills and strategies to then initiate projects such as clubs,
forums and performance groups in their schools and home communities.
The Vision and Promise of Camp Odyssey is:
Camp Odyssey Outcomes:
- To Model Respect for All Persons
- To Challenge Systems of Oppression
- To Ensure Broad and Inclusive Representation
- To Reduce Barriers By Providing a No-Cost Experience for ALL Youth
- To Create a Safe Place for Honesty and Shared Experiences
- To Open Courageous Conversations on Social Justice Issues
- To Expose Youth to Avenues for Social Justice Work and Activism
- To Mobilize Youths’ Passion to Advance Their Ideas of a Just World
- To Develop Allies, Networks and Partnerships
- To Be Accountable for Our Sustainability and Growth
Using both quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods looking at the 20+ years of Camp history and results, we have identified the following outcomes:
Increased Understanding and Awareness of Self, as well as People Unlike Oneself.
Increased Comfort Around and Empathy With People Unlike Oneself.
Increased Knowledge, Ability and Desire to Address Topics Around Privilege, Oppression and Differences.
Increased Conflict-Resolution, Leadership and Communication Skills.
Increased Engagement in School, Community and Social Justice Activities.
Social Change Resulting from Involvement in One's Community, the Authentic Expression of One's Values and Elevated Ability to Acknowledge Varied Perspectives.